Join me as I walk you through mastering seed starting. I'll show you everything you need to know to start your own plants from seed - indoors & out. From preparing to sow the seeds all the way to final steps before planting outdoors, I take you with me as I compare lots of the seed-starting options.
When it comes to starting your own plants from seeds; there is a lot of bad information out there. It can be frustrating and confusing to know what to do and what not to do. I spent months trialing (and documenting in photos and video) the equipment and care options to demystify this fun - and oftentimes challenging - aspect of gardening.
As a national gardening TV host and recognized expert for nearly two decades, I'll be your guide to to make sense of it all and understand the easy (and often free) steps you need to know. I've got you covered here in the Master Seed Starting course presented by joe gardener Online Gardening Academy™.
Hi! I’m Joe Lamp'l...
(aka joe gardener® and founder of joegardener.com) is one of the country’s most recognized and trusted personalities in gardening and green-living. That passion for living a greener life is evident to a nationwide audience who watches Joe in his current role as Creator, Executive Producer and Host of the Emmy Award-winning PBS series, Growing a Greener World® and previously as host of Fresh from the Garden on DIY Network and more. Joe also shares his know-how on NBC’s TODAY SHOW, ABC’s Good Morning America, The Weather Channel and through his popular books, podcast series (The joe gardener Show), and more. Past awards include: The American Horticultural Society selected Joe as the recipient of the Society’s B.Y. Morrison Communication Award, which recognizes effective and inspirational communication—through print, radio, television, and online media. Multi-award winner for Best On-Air Talent for Television by the Garden Writers Association, and The Taste Awards for, Breakout Storyteller of the Year, and Best Environmental Television, Series, Film or Video and Best Branded Television Series in 2016. Joe is deeply committed to “growing a greener world” through his television series, websites, podcasts, online learning, books (including The Green Gardener’s Guide) and more.
See more of my garden on Instagram @joegardener!
A Message from Kevin Espiritu of Epic Gardening...
Joe Lamp'l is someone I've learned from for years, even before Epic Gardening began. His Master Seed Starting course is aptly named, as you'll be learning from someone with decades of experience about how to successfully start seeds, which is one of the most important parts of the gardening process. I couldn't recommend his course more...it's EPIC!
After enrolling, you have unlimited access to the course sections - and the bonus materials for as long as you like - across any and all devices you own.
Here’s what you’ll learn:
What are the most important things to know when buying seeds? Are organic seeds worth the cost? Which seeds can go straight into the soil and which benefit from an early start indoors? Can you start seeds too soon? The Seed Basics module will answer these questions and so much more.
Equipment and Supplies:
There is a lot of misinformation regarding which supplies are really necessary for growing healthy seedlings. From containers and trays to the various soil options (and which to never use), germination heat mats and a whole lot more; this module walks you through what to buy and what you just don’t need. You’ll also learn set-up and other key tips, including some of my favorite accessories. The information in this module alone can save you far more than the course tuition.
Starting Your Seeds:
You’ll watch the process from start to finish, and learn everything you need to know to get your seeds up and growing. Is a dense planting technique right for you? How much moisture is best? Are heat mats always necessary? After this module, you’ll understand everything you need to know up through the germination phase.
This module explains other time-tested and innovative seed-starting options with detailed videos to take your gardening to the next level - both indoors and out.
Lighting - from Simple to Hi-Tech:
This module dives deep into the most puzzling aspects of starting seeds indoors. Will a sunny window be enough? Are expensive grow lights - like LED - really worth the cost? You’ll learn the why behind what works and what doesn’t, along with optimal light placement and how many hours of light per day healthy seedlings need. This can be the most expensive part of the process, but it doesn't have to be!
This module answers all your questions on how to care for seedlings once they have begun to grow. Do you need to fertilize and if so, when and how much? When do you need to thin or prune growth? When and how do you transplant into larger containers? What is the one essential step you must take to make sure your seedlings are ready for the garden? You'll learn the answers to these questions and more in the Seedling Care module.
If something goes wrong, this module will walk you through how to identify the most common problems and how to fix them. No more leggy or stunted seedlings, bug problems or sprouts that die before they ever get going. You’ll learn how to prevent those and other frustrating seedling issues.
See for yourself how different techniques, soil types, lighting options, and other equipment impacted growth during months of trials. This module is packed with photos, videos and details to really geek out on what works best and what just flopped.
I've been growing thousands of seedlings to test options on equipment, soil, lighting and lots more to bring you the results in this comprehensive course.
Students love this course!
I have started seeds before but you have certainly taken the confusion out of it! Now I know exactly what to do and I am so excited!! - Susann R., WA
You are a great instructor and made this process much less scary and unexciting. The amount of information about all the different methods and materials you can use was amazing. I love how you show us that you can use fancy equipment and get great results but that the less expensive option can give you just as good of results. I thought it seemed expensive when I signed up, but there is so much information that it is a great value! - Melissa G., OH
I think you did a great job of bringing a very large subject down to bite sized modules and explaining the science behind the why you recommended things. - Christina D., GA
You are AMAZING, Joe! I feel like we're two friends sharing information. You provide so much great info but it's not at all overwhelming or condescending. Everything is clearly explained. I've been listening to your podcast and watching your show for years, and this is just an added bonus to learning from you. It's been fantastic - so professional! The photos are gorgeous, too. - Kathryn B., PA
I have learned so much, and I have been planting seed since I was 5 and I am 72 now. The videos really showed you how to do it. - John S., IL
You are clear & concise in your explanations. Your videos showing different techniques are invaluable for us with visual learning styles. The way you present each step of the process in a separate module lets us easily go back and rewatch the segment to pick up what we missed the previous time. And I could go on, and on, and on… The informational modules and the visuals show that seed starting is not as intimidating as it seems. The modules showing equipment that you use and the worksheet listing basic equipment, helped me know exactly what I needed in order to be successful. The troubleshooting module showed what could potentially go wrong, and steps to remedy the issue. This course presented seed starting in a way that give me confidence that I can do this. I now have the freedom to grow what I wish! - Jane B., OH
There was so much insightful and practical information that has been obviously well-researched. Joe is also dedicated to the students, quick to answer questions and gracious with his answers! I wouldn't normally sign up for a course at this price, but I trust Joe's knowledge and presentation style. The included topics convinced me to sign up, and I'm glad I did! - Devvy L., SC
I really loved that Joe covered many different techniques, not just what works best for him. I feel like this has helped me direct my funds in the one direction and will save me money in the long run. This course gave me a firm building block. I now feel comfortable to try different techniques (especially soil blocks) and to experiment (something I never would have tried before). I felt so overwhelmed before this course. This gave me the confidence I was looking for. - April A., MA
So many invaluable tips and tricks in packed into a more modern way of education! Within three of the modules I understood so many past gardening failures and how to avoid them. This has been such a wonderful course and such a cool way to learn. Outstanding format! User friendly and very informative. I wish every aspect of gardening and composting was taught like this course was. - Kimberly B., AR
- Welcome to Module 2 (1:07)
- Lesson 01: Starting Seeds Indoors vs Outdoors (4:12)
- Lesson 02: Planning Considerations: Setting Expectations (8:30)
- Lesson 03: Organic vs. Non-Organic Seeds (5:30)
- Lesson 04: What Seeds Need for Germination (4:14)
- Lesson 05: Seed Biology: What's in a Seed (2:25)
- Lesson 06: The Germination Process: How Seeds Wake Up (2:34)
- Lesson 07: Why Seeds Don’t Germinate (4:03)
- Lesson 08: Special Care: Tips for Germinating Tougher Seeds (5:20)
- Lesson 09: Seed Viability: How to Know if Seeds Are Still Good (1:31)
- Lesson 10: Saving and Storing Seeds (2:47)
- Module 2 Summary (0:41)
- Module 2 Bonuses
- Welcome to Module 3 (1:21)
- Lesson 01: Shelving Considerations (2:49)
- Lesson 02: Container and Tray Options (4:07)
- Lesson 03: Choosing the Right Soil Mix (11:37)
- Lesson 04: The Importance of Plant Tags (2:22)
- Lesson 05: Seed Sowing Aids (1:36)
- Lesson 06: Keeping Soil Moist for Germination (1:43)
- Lesson 07: Watering: Considerations for Making it Easier (2:19)
- Lesson 08: Providing Air Circulation and Why It's Essential (0:39)
- Lesson 09: Options for Managing Temperature (6:12)
- Lesson 10: Lighting & Timers (2:32)
- Lesson 11: Resources: Where to Get Your Supplies (1:24)
- Lesson 12: Record Keeping: Documenting Your Journey (2:50)
- Lesson 13: Setting Up My Seed Starting Room From Start to Finish (15:31)
- Module 3 Summary (0:52)
- Module 3 Bonuses
- Welcome to Module 4 (1:41)
- Lesson 01: The Seed Sowing Process (11:48)
- Lesson 02: Seed Planting Depth (1:01)
- Lesson 03: Dense Planting Method: Sowing More in a Small Space (1:31)
- Lesson 04: Container Care: Cleanliness Counts (2:28)
- Lesson 05: Germination Heat Mats When and If They're Needed (2:38)
- Lesson 06: Humidity Covers: Proper Use is Key (3:16)
- Lesson 07: Watering Methods: Pros and Cons for Ways to Water (5:45)
- Lesson 08: Early Care Lighting: Let Your Needs Guide You (1:55)
- Lesson 09: Starting Seeds Outdoors: Expand Your Growing Space (2:39)
- Lesson 10: Pro Tips: Words of Wisdom for Smarter Sowing (2:29)
- Module 4 Summary (1:23)
- Module 4 Bonuses
- Welcome to Module 6 (1:19)
- Lesson 01: Plant/Light Relationships: How Plants Use Light (6:57)
- Lesson 02: Measuring Light: It's the Quality Over Quantity (6:22)
- Lesson 03: Lighting Options: Understanding the Differences (7:01)
- Lesson 04: Placement and Timing: Key Factors to Know (8:10)
- Lesson 05: Lighting Accessories: Simple Solutions You'll Love (1:45)
- Lesson 06: Comparing Lighting Options: General Observations (10:36)
- Module 6 Summary (2:05)
- Module 6 Bonuses (101:21)
- Welcome to Module 7 (0:39)
- Lesson 01: Air Circulation: Why to Keep Air Moving (3:23)
- Lesson 02: Watering: What, When, and How to Get it Right (8:09)
- Lesson 03: Fertilizing: Considerations for If and When to Fertilize (6:46)
- Lesson 04: Thinning: Apply Tough Love for Healthier Seedlings (7:07)
- Lesson 05: Transplanting: Giving Seedlings More Room to Grow (10:01)
- Lesson 06: Dense Planting Transplanting: Easy and Essential (1:39)
- Lesson 07: Hardening Off: The One Step You Can't NOT Do! (5:13)
- Module 7 Summary (0:59)
- Module 7 Bonuses
- Welcome to Module 8 (1:03)
- Lesson 01: Lack of Germination: Reasons Why Seeds Don’t Sprout (6:56)
- Lesson 02: Damping Off: A Very Deadly and Avoidable Problem (2:09)
- Lesson 03: Leggy Seedlings: A Very Common Problem (10:27)
- Lesson 04: Stunted Growth: Getting Plants to Grow Up (4:02)
- Lesson 05: Discolored Foliage: Putting Your Detective Hat On (3:12)
- Lesson 06: Wilted Seedlings: Simple Ways to Solve This Problem (1:14)
- Lesson 07: Hardening Off: Get the Process Right to Avoid Problems (3:13)
- Lesson 08: Brown Leaf Margins: It’s Something You Did (1:10)
- Lesson 09: Insect Pests: An Easy Fix, No Pesticides Required (1:49)
- Module 8 Summary (2:25)
- Module 8 Bonus
- Welcome to Module 10 (0:57)
- Lesson 01: High Performance LED Grow Light (4:03)
- Lesson 02: Light Duration - On 24/7 (2:53)
- Lesson 03: High Efficiency Fluorescent HOT5 (2:12)
- Lesson 04: Light Duration - On 16 /Off 8 (2:06)
- Lesson 05: LED Shop Lights (2:38)
- Lesson 06: Fertilizer (4:18)
- Lesson 07: Fluorescent Shop Lights, 40 W (4:46)
- Lesson 08: LED Full Spectrum at 8” Above (4:12)
- Lesson 09: LED Full Spectrum at 25” Above (2:48)
- Lesson 10: LED Full Spectrum at 12” Above (1:38)
- Lesson 11: Dual Band LED, 45W (3:54)
- Lesson 12: Dual Band LED, 600W (2:40)
- Lesson 13: Self-Watering Kit and Peat Pellets (3:04)
- Lesson 14: Soil Blocks on DIY Self-Watering System (2:29)
- Module 10 Summary (1:17)
- February 5, 2021 - Welcome & Q&A (76:26)
- February 12, 2021 - Lighting Science with Leslie Halleck (101:21)
- February 19, 2021 - Tomato Seed Starting with Craig LeHoullier (88:16)
- February 26, 2021 - Live Q&A With Joe (114:09)
- March 5, 2021-Live Q&A With Joe (101:46)
- March 12, 2021-Live Q&A With Joe (97:36)
- March 19, 2021-Live Q&A With Joe (85:59)
- March 24, 2021-Live Q&A With Joe (74:40)
- April 9, 2021-Live Q&A With Joe (71:04)
- April 16, 2021-Live Q&A With Joe (75:48)
- April 30, 2021-Final Live Gardening Q&A with Craig LeHoullier (92:08)
These are just a few of my 16 raised beds in my Atlanta-area garden. I grow in and harvest from these beds 12 months out of the year.
Frequently Asked Questions:
When does the course start and finish?
Registration is open now and all the modules will be waiting for you once you join! Move through them all at your own pace.
How long do I have access to the course?
How does lifetime access sound? After enrolling, you have unlimited access to this course for as long as you like - across any and all devices you own.
What if I am unhappy with the course?
We would never want you to be unhappy! If you are unsatisfied with your purchase, contact us in the first 15 days and provide us the completed worksheets (these are short worksheets provided with each module) and provide a brief reason to help us learn why you don't feel this worked for you. We will give you a full refund.
Will I receive bonus materials or anything else as part of this course?
Yes! You will receive bonus materials - including how-to videos - and I'll continue to answer your followup questions in the course forum here throughout the season. I can't wait for you to begin to share stories of your seed-starting success!
How long does each module last?
Each module lasts 10 to 45 minutes. I know you're busy, so I want to give you just what you need without the filler.
I'm an experienced gardener. Is this course for me?
Yes. This course is designed for gardeners of ALL levels. It takes you through and beyond the basics to some deeper principles of starting plants from seeds.
What if I still have garden questions after going through the course?
You can ask follow-up questions all through the season within the course website forum. You'll learn from being part of this community as you read the answers to questions from other gardeners too.
How is this course different than other online courses I've seen?
What makes this course unique is that it is created and taught by the one person, me - Joe Lamp'l, who has been teaching millions of people how to grow plants and garden for nearly 20 years - through television and online. Plus, you can get answers throughout the season in the course forum. You can't get that anywhere else. This course will more than pay for itself in just the first year, because you'll better understand which products you need and which you don't.
Does this course cover hydroponics or aeroponics?
No - This course focuses around soil-sowing methods only,
Does this course cover just seed starting?
This course begins with how to prepare for and start plants from seed, and it also covers how to care for seedlings all the way through the hardening off process - getting them ready for the great outdoors. These modules will prepare you for the entire process to show you what you need to know to grow the healthiest seedlings until they are ready to plant into the garden. We also cover direct sowing of seeds outdoors too.